FAQ

Common questions we are asked are listed below, if you have any other queries, please feel free to contact us.

What size and type of marquee will I need?

This will depend on the use, table layout, type of surface and what additional areas are required (dance floors, bar areas, catering areas etc). All the marquees we use offer flexible modular/linked solutions and can be added to. With this in mind we provide free of charge no obligation site visits using our experienced staff to discuss your individual requirements.

What can you tell me about the marquees?

The marquees are fully waterproof and are fixed using either stakes or weights. All marquees can be used on either grass or hardstanding. The sidewalls, extensions, walkways, windows and doors are all compatible to the type of marquee being used. Diamond white is the standard exterior colour with interior and roof linings available in ivory. The marquee and equipment will be clean and ready for use.

Will I need a carpet?

We can provide carpet for that warmer luxurious feel, however we offer a very high spec wooden flooring which is ideal for weddings or more formal events.

Will I require heaters?

Heaters will generally only be required early or late in the summer season. However, our weather can be changeable, it is worth considering a backup heater, which can be used if the sidewalls do not retain enough natural heat.

What electrical supply will be required for heating and lighting?

Either a standard 240V supply or a power supply through a generator if a 240v power source is not available or is insufficient to meet all the supply demands.

Do I need to book far in advance?

The period from Easter to October is the busiest time for the marquee hire industry. Many customers book up to a year in advance. To make sure you are able to secure your preferred dates and for us to provide a professional service, we suggest you book well in advance of your event and after you have received your quotation. However if you have a last minute requirement, call us and we will do our utmost to accommodate your request.

What is the hire period?

This will be identified on the quotation and is normally for 1 day. However, we are flexible and if you have a back-to-back event the following day we will try to provide the marquee for the second day at no extra cost. This is subject to prior agreement, so it is important to make your request well in advance. In addition, depending on the size of the event, site access and working with other contractors we will always try to have the marquee erected at least 1 full day in advance (you do not pay for this day). Under normal circumstances we will take the marquee down the day following the event (weather permitting). We always try to clear the site at the earliest convenient time.

How much damage will a marquee do to my garden or site?

We will try to take every care not to cause unnecessary damage. It is important that grass is cut short to facilitate erection and provide a flat internal ground surface. During the summer months the grass may discolour where a marquee has been placed, depending on how long the marquee has been up and how much use the grass area has received. Please make sure all other contractors understand their responsibility to clear their rubbish and remove all equipment before we arrive to dismantle the marquee.

Will I need a drinks/entertainment licence?

In general terms, you will only need a licence if you are intending to charge for alcoholic drinks. It is always worth checking with your local council. If you do require a drinks licence, you or the people running your bar should apply for this.

Do I need public liability or event insurance?

Firstly, it is important to make sure you have checked with all contractors their status and insurance cover. Oldtown Marquees have Public and Products Liability insurance to a limit of £5million and Employers Liability insurance to a limit of £10million. However the customer is responsible for the company’s equipment during the hire period and may feel it necessary to arrange insurance accordingly with its existing or a specialist insurer.

.

What is the payment policy?

We require a non-refundable deposit of 25% of the total prices and charges with confirmation of your order. The remaining 75% is due 21 calendar days before your event.